I was also asked for the recipe for the tomato balsamic soup I made for dinner last night. Here it is:
Creamy Tomato Balsamic Soup
(originally from Pinch Of Yum, but currently AWOL…)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 4 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cracked black pepper
- Combine 1 cup of broth, sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Place onion, garlic, and tomatoes in a 13 x 9-inch Pyrex dish coated with cooking spray.
- Pour broth mixture over tomato mixture.
- Place dish onto foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 500°F for 50 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Place contents of dish, including all juices, into soup pot (4 qt is sufficient).
- Add remaining 1 cup broth and cream, and process with stick blender until smooth. (You can use a conventional blender or food processor if that’s all you have; if you do, you probably want to strain any remaining solids out before serving.)
- Top with grated cheese and garnish with cracked black pepper to taste.