I usually make a pretty substantial beer run in the days leading up to Thanksgiving, for a variety of reasons:
- to pick up a number of cases of this year’s Anchor Christmas, which has special significance for TheWife and I
- to pick up beers for Thanksgiving – whether we’re hosting or guesting, beer is usually my responsibility
- to pick up things to cellar – I like me some malty, strong fall beers, and they generally only improve with age, so this is a good time to get stuff to put down in the basement and forget about for a while.
Here’s the list of what I bought this year:
- 3 cases of the 2010 Anchor Christmas Ale
- a 6 pack of Troeg’s Mad Elf – a little high in the ABV for a session beer, but damn it’s tasty
- Great Divide’s Hibernation Ale – tasty old ale
- Victory Old Horizontal barleywine – should go into the cellar; will probably be consumed Thursday
- Duck-Rabbit barleywine – ditto
- Brew Dog Tokyo – for Thursday (“stout with cranberry” screams Turkey Day)
- Brew Dog Dogma – also for Thursday
- Ommegang Adoration – may be for Thursday, may be for the cellar
- Stone Vertical Epic 10/10 – cellar, natch; read about Stone’s Vertical Epic series to understand why
- Avery’s The Reverend quad – going to gift this to a co-worker
- Dogfish Head Squall IPA – probably also Thursday, as I don’t think I want this much ultra-hoppy IPA all by myself
I’ve also got a few other things that are already in the cellar that may get pulled out on Thursday, or possibly later on in the holiday weekend – only time will tell.
What are you planning on drinking with your holiday meal?