About a month ago, Hal tagged me on the 50 concert meme that was going around. I was actually intending to make my own list, as Matt, one of my college roommates, posted his version around the same time, and that kicked off an entertaining “How could you leave off X?” discussion. But, as will happen, it sort of slipped my mind, until I found the open tab with Hal’s list this morning – and this seems like the perfect Sunday morning activity, really – so here goes…
OK, here are the rules. Test your memory and your love of live music by listing 50 artists or bands (or as many as you can remember) you’ve seen in concert. List the first 50 acts that come into your head. An act you saw at a festival and opening acts count, but only if you can’t think of 50 other artists. Oh, and list the first concert you ever saw (you can remember that, can’t you)?
Should you choose this challenge, here’s what you do: Copy my note. Click on “notes” under tabs on your profile page. Select “write a new note” in the top corner. Paste the copy in the body of the note. Make your list. Change the number at the top, and add your title. Once you’ve saved, don’t forget to tag friends (including me) on the right.
I’m only doing 30 or so, because I’m lame. To make up, I’ll give unnecessary biographical detail… (these are in a rough chronological order):
- First show: Sugarcubes/Siouxsie Sioux/New Order. This was around '88 or '89, at Sandstone in KC
- Nine Inch Nails, at the first Lollapalooza, again at Sandstone
- Jane’s Addiction, twice – Lollapalooza, and in Omaha, in, I swear, a gym.
- Fugazi, Kansas University Student Union Ballroom, 1989.
- Depeche Mode, at The World in Chicago, 1989 or 1990.
- Soul Asylum, three times – Gabes and twice at Riverfest
- Big Audio Dynamite – Riverfest.
- Big Citizen, numerous times, 1990-1993, Iowa City
- The Replacements – in Iowa City, at Carver-Hawkeye(?), 1990(?), touring behind their “big fucking hit”, as Paul Westerberg slurred into the mic.
- Tripmaster Monkey , numerous times, 1990-1993, Iowa City
- Rex Daisy, numerous times, frequently at the Yacht Club, 1990-1993, Iowa City
- Iowa Beef Experience, at Gabe’s, freshman year. CHAOS.
- The Dangtrippers, once or twice, Iowa City
- Head Candy, once or twice, Iowa City
- Sugar, University of Iowa Student Union, 1992? I know I was at this show because I remember the bruises the next day. The actual show, not so much.
- U2 in Ames, 1992, ZooTV tour – and after this I swore off stadium concerts forever…
- Archers Of Loaf, 1994 or 1995, at the run-down all ages venue in Tucson
- Dead Hot Workshop, opening for:
- Gin Blossoms, Tucson, 1995, in some ballroom on the east side of town
- The Mollys, New Years Eve show in Tucson, 1998 or thereabouts?
- Belly, University of Arizona Student Union, 1999?
- The Get-Up Kids? This one is a long story… Approximately 1999, after I had given a talk to ~2000 people at the RNA meeting, wandering the University of Wisconsin campus, moderately intoxicated on beer and post-talk endorphins, I wandered into the Brickskeller Rathskeller (the bar in the Student Union – thanks to @vkurup for the correction on the bar name). I’m pretty sure the Get-Up Kids were playing. I wanted to stay but got dragged back out to go to the end-of-conference dinnner.
- Lucero, twice, both times at the Black Cat.
- The Weakerthans, at the Black Cat.
- The “Revival Tour” – Chuck Ragan, Tim Berry, Ben Nichols, Frank Turner, at the Black Cat.
- Anberlin, at the 930 Club.
- Angels & Airwaves, also at the 930.
- Drive-By Truckers, with TheWife, at the 930. Unfortunately, Patterson Hood was sick, so we didn’t get the full-on experience…
And just to wrap it up, shows I’m going to before the end of the year:
- Yo La Tengo, next week
- Lucero, October
- Get Up Kids, November
Consider yourself tagged on this one if you want to be.